Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Biggest Gig Yet

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

http://www.davidairey.com/audio-cassette-tape-nostalgia

As a child there were a few things in my life that I was already so sure about, and one of them is my love for the radio and music. Weeknights after studying, weekdays early in the morning before going to school, weekends, and vacations are spent mostly at home, my ears glued to my favorite station-of-the-moment, my mind trying to remember all those new tunes the DJ`s playing... just being happy by my lonesome, unmindful of the classmates and other kids in the neighborhood who played out in the sun, gained socialization skills and had a normal childhood in the process. I even dreamt of becoming a DJ, a record producer, and a writer for Rolling Stone...even until now I think they`re still the coolest jobs.

And how I loved making mix tapes..! I`d patiently wait for the DJ`s cue so I could hit the "record" button of my cassette player at the exact time that a song that I like is starting to play, then make compilations which I sometimes give out to friends, complete with the handwritten playlist on the sleeves of the tape case. I was doing this since I was eight, and with time, the mix tapes were replaced by compact disks.Much later on, collecting and giving out songs as MP3/MP4 files have become so easy and commonplace. The technology`s fail-safe, fast, convenient...but, heck, I miss my tapes, especially those rare finds in music stores that my sister and I used to haunt. I wished I had them converted as e-files before most of them got moldy and cracked.

All this nostalgia-tripping because I`m building a playlist for zee wedding party. I admit, more than the dress, the makeup, the flowers and decor, this is the one that`s making me excited. 

It`s like being eight again. :)  



Hail thee boom box, a.k.a. cassette player here in the PH...I had three.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket