Saturday, March 19, 2011

Am I Bridezilla?

Saturday, March 19, 2011
The Urban Dictionary defines "Bridezilla" as:
1. One ridiculous spoiled bitch that thinks she is the center of the universe, just because her "show" (the wedding) is 18 months from now. Everyone else in the world has to drop everything and come running in this prime-donna's mind. The marriage will not last more than a couple of years,if the groom to be is lucky.
 2.noun. Formed from blending of the words bride and Godzilla (Japanese movie monster). Used to describe a woman whose behavior becomes outrageously bad in the course of planning for her wedding.
 3. Bridezillas are a new breed of soon-to-wed women who abuse the idea that weddings are their "day." They terrorize their bridal party and family members, make greedy demands and break all rules of etiquette, to insure that they are the single most important person on the planet from the time they are engaged to the time they are married.
Before all of these happened I am just one of those single people who just find it funny and ridiculous, the idea of a once- rationale, self-composed female of reproductive age suddenly transforming into a conceited monster who could literally crush everything and everyone crossing her path to perfectly wedded bliss. 




Then I chanced upon this movie, Bride Wars, on cable TV (blurb:  Two best friends become rivals when they schedule their respective weddings on the same day). More than an hour of seeing how these supposedly educated, lovely girls scheme to sabotage each other`s weddings is not cute, but screams of misogyny. Sorry. 


Two months into my own wedding, I could now relate to the jitters that brides feel, especially those who are hands on with the preparations and on tight budgets and schedules. I have gone from  "Oh it`s just for an hour, what`s all the hoopla about...I want a simple, no-frills wedding" to "There is no such thing as a simple wedding, that is an oxymoron." 

As much as I would like to have a good control of things, I now somewhere along the way some form of kapalpakan will ensue, and there will be nothing I can do about it...I am not Bridezilla, I know I will do have moments when I`ll lose it, and I will also be this beast...but a beast more scared than scary, insecure and clumsy...



"I just don't think I could take that kind of rejection!"
Rex from Toy Story?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket